impressive running - strong finish
Cheryl’s 2nd Half
Amazing day, Amazing fun, Amazing sense of achievement!
Mandy – a deserving cause & well-deserved medal
It was hot & hilly but we did it! (running for the Ollie Foundation)
Chetna – thanks for all the support
It's been amazing and thinking about it definitely helped me get round.
I was undecided about entering: worried another “slow” time would demoralise me, I knew it was hilly, would probably be hot, & highly unlikely I’d finish in under 3 hours.
I had been very fortunate to go on a Thursday run with Andy a few weeks ago who suggested that I should follow his pace, which was faster than I had ever run in my entire life, all the way to Hemel and back. It was probably the hardest physical thing I’ve ever done, but it showed me that I was capable of more than I thought and it gave me the confidence to push myself harder and have more self belief.
Anyway, I decided to give it a go and put into practice all the skills Andy has taught us:
- Cadence – I have been working on this for a while now and found an app that changed the bpm on my favourite playlist. After the first few km I cranked it up to 175bpm and kept there; it definitely helped me pick up my speed and keep a steady rhythm.
- Buckets & balloons – I tried to remember to use my glutes / bucket (I found this a useful technique on the hills) and also tried to avoid stooping by keeping my “balloon” attached to my head.
- Counting – I could never reach Paula Radcliffe’s 100. But managed to count smaller sets.
- I even managed to “pull the road” briefly!
- Elbow drive to get up those long hills.
- Leaning forward to go down the hills (still need to work on downhill method).
- Energy – I refuelled early and often with my trusty supply of jelly babies (orange/green only!) and a couple of gels that I had practiced with beforehand, especially in anticipation of any big hills coming up.
And I sprinted with all my might at the end when I reached the park and knew the last half mile would lead me to the finish!
The end result…
I managed to knock almost 20 minutes off my previous half marathon time in less than 3 months, so I was well chuffed!!
It was so lovely to see Cheryl, Mandy , Chetna and Andy at the finish line as we collected our medals and hard-earned lollies and to be cheered on by Jeanette, Caroline and Liz along the way too.
I was so glad I did it!
THANK YOU ANDY!
I was so glad I did it!